Monday 5 November 2012

I am woman, hear me vote!

In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't that long ago that us lady folk were thought unsuited to the rough-and-tumble world of public life and politics. Babies and cooking were our lot and it wasn't until 1920 in the USA that future presidents thought about what campaigning to get the women's vote might look like.
Down here in New Zealand, we like to think we're an enlightened lot. Our women's suffrage race beat the rest of the western world and the pivotal right that's being discussed infinitum at present was handed over in 1893. We've had a couple of female Prime Ministers, plenty of female judges and a fair few big company CEOs. It was Kate Sheppard who lead the charge in New Zealand, and in return we've put her on our $10 note. Nice.
Maybe that's why I'm such a fan of female characters who can. Authors like Sarah Mayberry, Ruthie Knox and Leslie Kelly in the Category Romance world and Nalini Singh in Paranormal, really know how to give a girl what she wants as well as telling a great story.
I'd like to think that were I to write a political romance, it would be my heroine running for president and her hero end up cheering her on all the way. Who knows.
Today I'm sending out a universal Thanks to those women who came before and made sure I got my chance at the ballot box. Good luck with your voting if you're in the States, no matter who you're voting for. Let me know if you're celebrating, commiserating, or just pondering the massive impact of such a small piece of (voting) paper.
x Michele

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate you taking the time to comment. It lets me know I'm not all alone out here in the blogesphere!
xMichele